How can I get a BSN if I cannot register at my accommodation?

So you are planning to come to The Netherlands for your exchange program, internship, or simply planning to stay for a few months just for fun. 

Now your search for accommodation has started and some say; 'long-stays only', 'no registration possible', or 'short-stays only'. But what you really need is a short-stay accommodation and the ability to open a bank account and register for health insurance, what to do now? It is really simple, just read on...


How can I register with short-stay accommodation?

If you are staying at the accommodation for shorter than four months and you cannot register, you can still get a BSN. 

You simply go to one of the 19 municipalities in The Netherlands, really just any one of them, and register yourself as 'niet-ingezetene'. They register you directly at the home address in the country of origin and you receive your BSN at the same time. How simple is that? Just don't forget to bring your passport with you. 

Just make sure you book an appointment for your registration through the website of the municipality or per telephone. 

For The Hague; you can call 14 070 or with the digital form which you can find here.


Do you wish to receive more info about this?


You can try to find your question on our FAQ page or you can e-mail to [email protected]

Of course, you can also find this information on the website of the governmentHere you can download the brochure which explains the registration procedure.